Drilling a well, got a baby, having fun. Post #2


Welcome Stephanie!

Here is and update…Dorothy, our Social Worker had her baby today.  I drove her to the Hospital at 2:00 am and Stephanie was born at about 3:00 pm Kenya time.  They are doing great.

Everything is going much better than anticipated.  Our new well drilling project is going miraculously and our spiritual time yesterday was great.  Here is an update by Tony Yoder and some photos….

  • Hello all,
  • Well, it has been a long two days. Yesterday was quite an adventure. I told Terri, we could have been on Amazing Race…..After a very nice stay at the Hampton House in Nairobi we got up and packed our bags.   We headed back to the Nairobi International Airport. Problem is we had a ticket from Nairobi Wilson Airport and not the International Airport. We didn’t realize they were at different places. When we checked in at the East Africa airlines counter they said “you are at the wrong airport and you’d better hurry. They ran out with us and hailed a cab. The lady babbled something to the driver that I didn’t understand, threw our bags in and away we went. Whatever she said, he was motivated. Almost as bad as a Q Cab from JFK to LGA when you offer a big tip to get to your ride home. Anyway, we made it by the thinnest of margins. They charged me through the nose for my overweight bags but I was not in much of a position to argue because they held the plane a few extra minutes since the International Airport had let them know we were coming. I told Terri, “its a good thing the pilot wasn’t me because I wouldn’t have waited on someone to stupid to know which airport they were flying from.” What fun!!!

We arrived in Kitale which is a very small airport. No lights or approaches the way it looked. The 1900 was barely able to turn around on the runway so it is pretty narrow. Bob and Greg did not meet us as planned because they were having their own adventure trying to rent a vehicle in another city then drive to Kitale. Two pastors and the driver came to get us in a small Toyota. They had hoped Bob would be there and when he wasn’t we just piled in and went. We put three of our five bags in the trunk then climbed into the car. Terri was in the front with a bag on top of her and three men including me were in the back seat along with our big suitcase. We looked like a bunch of clowns in a bug at the circus. That was quite a long 10 Km drive to the Orphanage. The last Km of road is horrible. I expected us to bottom out at any moment but we made it ok….

Since we arrived before Bob and Greg, we just made ourselves at home. Had a lot of fun with the kids and just got to know them all a little better. The people here have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. We are so blessed. Bob and Greg finally arrived with a vehicle. It wasn’t the one we had hoped for and aside from having one headlight, being a little whimpy and missing a lug on each wheel, we will get along fine with it. Their adventure in getting this vehicle (such as it is) would take too long to tell here.

Plans for the water system are way ahead. The well drill is coming monday. We are going to start laying pipe and power lines as well as putting up the storage tank and stand on Monday. All I can say is when you get under that warm shower tonight, count your blessings. I spent many a night in Ecuador in places without running water but we always had a river to jump in and take a bath. Here you put in a long sweaty day and then take a bath from a basin. 

Today we put up playground equipment. We put up three swings and two slides. The kids stood in line for a long time to go down the slides and the swings have been going non stop. Terri has been working with the ladies and will be helping teach preschool through second grade next week. One of the teachers quit unexpectedly so this will be a good opportunity for her to help out. Terri gave the ladies the aprons that Mom made and they were so grateful. They said to make sure to thank mom. The girls are not allowed to have painted fingernails in school so Terri helped some of them paint their toenails today with the nail polish that Katlyn sent for them. I have had the boys helping me out with much of the work I am doing and we are having a good time with that. Tonight we hooked up the big screen TV that Bob brought. The kids are having movie night and watching “Jungle Book” and “Veggie Tales”. They are having a ball.

Thank you again to all who are praying for us. We appreciate the love and support that you all have shown us in this. 

Tony and Terri

Drill rig ready to start Tuesday morning
Building a 15' tall water tank stand.  Prtable welder, twisted rope clamps, and lots of manpower.

Building a 15′ tall water tank stand.  Portable welder, twisted rope clamps, and lots of manpower.

New hand made dresses for the girls

Building a water tank stand 15′ tall. portable welder, twisted rope clamps, lots of manpower.