Nearly every corner of the world changed dramatically in early 2020 with the rapid spread of Covid19. Most countries have responded with travel restrictions, shut downs, and quarantines. East Africa did as well. The regions around the children missions funded by MSM are a world of centralized (roadside and trading center) commerce, public transportation, no freezers or refrigeration, often barter commerce, large schools, few government support/welfare programs, and very very few hospitals and medical facilities.
Where many of us enjoy personal vehicles, ability to work at home, on-line schooling, Amazon delivery, government assistance (stimulus checks, unemployment, SBA loans, etc.) and food pick-up options. People in rural areas of Africa are experiencing food shortages and high prices and lack of work and commerce.
Here are specific updates on the children that are MSM sponsored, funded, educated, and cared for at Child Redeemed Mission Home, Promise Primary School, Rock View Primary School, Lord’s Servants Home, and Bridgeway Hope Academy. Following government rules:
- The schools have been closed beginning in the end of March which includes PP, RVPS, BHA and all High Schools the kids attend.
- Teachers salaries have been reduced but supported as much as possible.
- The churches at LSH and CRM have suspended worship.
- The children at LSH have all been able to be placed in homes of extended families.
- All but 12 of high risk children at CRM have been placed in homes of extended families.
- Shut down and shut in rules will remain in effect until at least May 5 when updates are expected. Schools have tentative plans to reopen in June.
This situation is a serious cause for struggling in an already day to day existence for most people. I have simplified things quite a bit and our prayers are needed. I do find it interesting to think that we are all in the same STORM. However, we are not all in the same boat. May God have mercy on those of us affected most harshly.
On the positive side, several projects that were funded and begun in February have able to be completed or nearly so. Updates on these to follow.
Thank you for your continued prayers and support. Here are a group of the 12 from CRM and a song they made up during quarantine to praise Jesus.