August 1-19. Trip Report 1st Post

Our trip to the orphanages in Kitale, Kenya and Nawantale, Uganda was fantastic.  We met our goals and delivered blessings.  First timers, Randall and Cheryl had a great time and were a blessing to many people.  I will make several posts over the next week to present photos, video, and stories.

To start I want to give God the Glory and point out how we were under His protection and grace…

The Nairobi international airport terminal burned into a nearly complete loss while we were in Kenya throwing travel to and from East Africa in turmoil.  If our trip started a week earlier, our departure would have been messed up.  If our trip started a week later, it would have been delayed or worse.  Amazingly our plans were unaffected.

My Father went to be with Jesus somewhat unexpectedly a week before our departure.  I was able to see Dad a lot before that, celebrate his life with family after, then continue with the plans on our trip.  A timing change could have easily caused me to cancel my trip.  Serving orphans was the perfect way for me to process my Dad going on ahead of us.  The Holy Spirit used this in messages that I shared with churches on the Sundays we were there.

I broke a molar tooth 2 days before departure and my Dentist was on vacation.  The back-up Dentist used a procedure to numb my lower jaw.  I learned the procedure on YouTube while in Kenya and was able to use it and help 3 people in Uganda by removing painful teeth.  Basically, I would not have been able to attempt that if my tooth had not broken.  Of course, timing changing a few days and a broken tooth on my trip would have been very unpleasant for me.

Our timing in becoming involved with the Stream of Hope Orphanage in Uganda is amazing.  There are 2 little girls there that are alive now because we were called to become involved.  The other 38 children now have hope for a life, and a church has a roof due to God bringing timely provisions to us.  Much of this in memory of my Dad.

Greg’s son Nicholas had surgery on his nose and upper palate a week before we left.  Early in our trip while we were in Kenya, he developed serious bleeding complications which were life threatening and further surgery was required.  Greg had the opportunity to trust God with his family from the other side of the world and involve hundreds of people in Kenya in praying for Nicholas.  A small timing change and that would have altered our trip.  God is faithful.

We had car trouble on our trip to Uganda.  While I was annoyed over a 3 hour period searching for parts and a new tire, Greg and Randall walked the streets in a neighborhood and found a little girl with a life long eye infection.  Dr. Randall was able to make arrangements for treatment to relieve the pain this girl had her whole life.

On a personal note, my sweet 14-year-old Basset Hound Sarah waited for me to return from our trip before saying goodbye.  I am so thankful!

I’ll be sharing more with stories, photos, and video about how God worked through us but I wanted to share how God faithfully cared for us first.  Thank you Father!


Us with the staff and younger kids at the Stream of Hope Home